Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mutant Chronicles

I was so excited with this movie when I first saw the trailer at Blitz Megaplex. I mean, really, altered humans with blade hands. BIG blade hands. How exciting was that!! The first part really caught me. I love the atmosphere. It has Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow tone in it, but darker. The war equipment is also a plus. It kinda reminded me with Squaresoft's RPG games (Later I found out that the movie is actually does based on a card game/video game/comic book). It's really cool. Oh and not to mention the color of the blood when the mutants slash and dice the human army! They add the contrast a bit so blood looks really bright red like those in comic books. I kinda like it.
But here's the thing that I don't get. With all the special effect, CG, props and all that jazz, how can this movie can be soooo dull!!! I was even half asleep watching it! One thing I realized was the lack of sound effect. There is this scene where the plane they're on was hit by another plane. It caused a huge explosion fire was streaming down the plane..visually. Because at the time the plane exploded, I heard nothing but silence. Wait, I know there are a lot of movies who deliberately use silence on such huge scenes to enhance tension just by looking at the visuals. But this isn't it. Because while the plane is still on fire and the inside part is crashing, the characters are talking in normal tone, even with flying burning debris behind them. It looks as if the director didn't brief them enough about the scene.
Even until the movie ended, I was just sitting there, with a confused look on my face thinking, "That's it??". And feeling nothing. Despite of the visuals that I do love, the movie left no other impression in me whatsoever. It's a pity though, I have such high expectations at first.
Personal rate: 5/10

1 comment:

  1. did i tell u i bought this movie at Poins waaaaaaaaaaay before it got played at Blitz? no? well, i bought it waaaaaaaaaay before it got played at Blitz XD and yeah.. it's not that good XD

    ReplyDelete